Thursday, June 9, 2011

Congrats to Katie Jo and Tom!!

This is the story of Katie Jo and Tom... at least their reunion. Tom served his mission from July 2009 until June 2011

The day went great. I killed a lot of time with my wonderful friend Michelle. We went to Tom's house in the morning (so now she's met his family before she's even met him!), out to lunch, hair salon, nail salon [I'm still learning to type with fake nails on so I apologize in advance for any typos...], and shopped around Arbor Lakes. It wasn't a great distraction because we talked pretty much entirely about Thomas, but it was a least a ton of fun! And in the afternoon, Tom's mother called me to tell me if I wanted, I could just wait outside while Tom is released, and then I don't have to get dressed up in a dress. Well I was all for that, so I ended up going with outfit one: Blue top and boots - but the gray ones not tan.
Anywho, Michelle left about 6, and I spent another 45 minutes getting ready, then left and drove with shakey hands to the stake center! Well, as if I wasn't nervous enough already, go figure, I pull a Katie Jo and got lost. So I started freaking out even more. I wasn't outwardly crying yet, but the tears were definitely welling up! Lesley told me to be there about 7:15 and I was driving in circles unable to find the building. Turns out I kept missing the last turn I needed to take but I figured it out eventually. And it ended up being okay because Thomas was not done at 7:15...
...I arrive about 7:20 and immediately get out of my car. I'm staring at the doors of the church just waiting for them to open. I parked right next to their car, so I knew they were still inside. Well, eventually it got to be too much, so I had to start pacing the parking lot....But after about ten minutes I got cold (the wind really picked up, grr...) and so I went back in my car and sat to get warm...and to keep my hair from getting too damaged from the wind...sheesh.
Well, finally about 8:00, I see Tom's little brother and sister walk out of the doors, so I jump out of my car. I stand there for a minute and see the rest of the famliy behind them. As soon as Thomas walked through those doors, I was running. Literally, running. I jumped into his arms, wrapped my legs round his waist, my arms round his neck, and buried my face in neck. We were whispering things back and forth, but I honestly cannot tell you what the first thing he said to me was for certainity. I'm fairly sure it was "I've missed you." But I'm not positive. Can't remember the first thing I said to him either...
 
We hugged for a long time...long. Time. And when I finally loosened my grip round his neck and pulled away, he pulled me in for a kiss. It was magical. Simply magical. I could kiss him forever. I forgot how amazing his kisses were.
Finally I got down from being wrapped around him, and there was more hugging, laughing, greeting, and smiles. Thomas rode with me back to his house, holding hands the entire ride home just like we used to always do - - and kissing at red lights just like we used to do. Once we were back home, we all sat together in the family room. There were some wrestling matches (I lost of course, just like in the good ol' days), tossing of a football (which led to the breaking of some ceramics...), reading of the scriptures (Luke 8), and family prayer. Then more sitting and talking (our wedding may have popped up once or twice in convo...) once the kiddies had gone off to bed.
Eventually, Thomas and I went downstairs and we were opening his boxes. He showed me a bunch of things from his mission, his tie collection, and we went over old letters, cards, and talks. We sat and talked and talked and talked....and kissed and cuddled bunches too. Just as I was about to leave, Tom's wonderful sister Sammie came down and told us the pictures she took were edited and ready for facebook. So we quick uploaded those, then he walked me to my car and kissed me goodnight.
It was bliss. There really is no other word for it. It still feels like I'm in a dream. It was the most amazing feeling to be able to talk with him, feel him again. To be able to reach out and he's actually there. To feel his heartbeat while we're hugging. To feel his warm breath on my cheek as he whispers he loves me in my ear. It was completely blissful. So surreal. I'm almost afraid to go to bed tonight - I'll wake up and realize it really was just a dream. Tonight could not have been more amazing. It's as if no time has gone by. Everything felt perfect. Not a moment of awkwardness or questioning or doubt. It just fit. Perfectly. The night was filled with kisses and cuddles and hand-holding and "I love you's". It was simple amazing to be able to {feel} his love for me, in the way he holds me, brushes my cheek, kisses my forehead, looks into my eyes. I can't believe it's been two years. It just honestly feels like we were never apart.
I love him so much. I'm so grateful he served a mission. And I'm so grateful he's home now.

No comments:

Post a Comment