Sunday, May 8, 2011

Nicole and Daniel

This is Nicole and Daniel's story; Daniel served from February 2009-February 2011

I have no idea where to even start this insanely long story.. but.. I'll try and make it good so stick with me guys. When I met Daniel.. We were 14 - thats righhttt, one of those gooey predicable childhood sweetheart stories.. Except .. when we first met, we hated each other. Sounds harsh, but completely accurate. We used to bicker and argue 24 7. One of our friends once said that we argued so much that we were bound to end up together. We were absolutely outraged!! Time went on and as we got to know each other.. hatred cooled to mere irritation, which turned to interest.. which eventually became love. We were completely and utterly head over heels the whole time we were together, which was 3 years (started dating when we were 16).Then that time came.. Of course I knew that he would go on a mission, I wanted it too.. But as time got closer, I realised how difficult it was to have your heart want different things. I've never wanted something at the same time as dreading it. We both knew it was absolutely the right thing for him to do, and in February 2009, he left for the Armenian mission, where he served in the Republic of Georgia.
Our story is somewhat 'unconventional', I have never been officially waiting for Daniel. Before he left, we discussed it, and felt it was best for us to write each other, as friends, and just see what happened when he got home. Honestly I didn't think I'd be capable of waiting for him (i've never been very good at doing as I’m told) but in the 2 years he's been away I've hardly dated. He's a hard one to beat.I don't want to spend time on this, but Daniel leaving was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, to date.The first 4 months, I was a mess. But with a psychology degree, volunteering for a charity, church callings, a part time job, plus cheer, dance & gymnastics, the time has flownnn. (I know its annoying when people say it, but KEEP BUSY! make yourself busy, its the only way to stop time dragging)
Ok so his homecoming.. I didn’t plan to be at the airport - hadn’t wanted to pressure him, didn’t really know where I stood etc. So I was quite calm and chill about him coming back, tried really hard not to have any expectations, didn’t have any plans about when I was going to go home (uni is 2 hours away from our hometown) .. but then..
The 19th..630pm – The words ‘freaking out’ don’t do me justice.. ahhhh! He just emailed, saying he wanted to see me and come home. So I’m dropping everything and getting on a train I guess.. What am I doingggg! Felt like I was in a film, everything happened so fast.
700pm – Train to London, then I get the Tube (underground train system in London) for 7 stops.. I made it 6 stops – SO CLOSE, then comes the announcement..
‘Sorry, but the train in front has broken down, so all passengers.. oh wait, 1 second, I’m getting a message…. (everyone holds their breath)
….
….
‘Oh no, no, sorry, yes, it’s definitely broken down, all passengers will have to exit the train at the next stop.'
Crap.


I have no idea where I’m going, and I end up following some random lady from Portugal called Sara. I’m convinced she was an angel because she was wonderful, and showed me exactly how to get back on track. So after running around London for half an hour, I’m finally on the 3rd and last train home. Though Dan had emailed telling me to come, he had no idea I was hurtling towards our hometown, so what do I do, just show up?? Call first?!
10pm - I call .. (his mum answers) ‘Hi Nic love, how are you?’
smalltalksmalltalk.. (I’m a very blunt person but no one wants small talk at a time like this – I was on. the. edge.)
‘So is Daniel there, I thought I might pop over and see him?’ Easy breezy. (or it would have been if my heart wasn’t about to pound out of my chest.
‘Actually darling.. he’s asleep’.
What.
A taxi, 3 trains, and a car ride of preparing myself, and the kid was in bed.
1030pm – my best friend takes me home, emotionally e x h a u s t e d I lay in bed and freak out the whole night..
20th, 9am - I go over to his before church.. Oh boy, that walk from the car to his door was the longest I’ve ever done.. We see each other and hug ‘Heyy! How are you?!’ He’s exactly the same, and not weird at. all. My behaviour however.. He sits on the couch, I stand stupidly by the table.. ‘What are you doing, come sit down’ I sit at the opposite end to him.. (loser!!) it’s just so, so weird. This guy I’ve been dreaming and thinking and imaging for 2 YEARS is just chilling in front of me, like time has never passed. I have a pretty expressive face, and I must be doing some interesting facials, because he looks at me as if wondering if I’m going to run away screaming at any moment.
‘So how is it being home?’
‘It’s weird. So, so weird being home.’
‘Anything I can do to help?’
‘You can hug me..’ (see, he was so normal, no idea how he did it! He was almost weird BECAUSE he wasn’t weird)
Then we go to church, after church his family comes over to see mine, his best friend Olly comes over too, and everyone’s just catching up, such a nice evening. I’ll skip to 9pm because this is a novel already...
‘so when you going back to uni..?’
‘tomorrow, in the evening I think..’
'wanna do something in the day?’
‘mmkayyy..what do you wanna do?’
‘I don’t knoww...’ (as you can see we already have an extremely mature and sensible relationship)
Before he leaves my house, he pulls me into the most delicious hug. My weirdness melted away, and all I'm thinking is 'Yes, thats what I've been waiting for..'. That feeling of being completely safe, and just content. 21st, 11am – he comes over to mine, we’re talking.. he asks about things I found hard about him being away. Girls, I was so surprised about how difficult I found it to talk about that with him.
'It was hard, but I got through it.’
'Is that it?’
‘Well..I don’t know. I.. It was hard.’ Then he says ‘Hey, you don’t have to be brave anymore, I’m here’
I start to cry, he wraps his arms around me, tears just run down my face. I’ve never, ever told him how difficult it was, I’ve never really even admitted it out loud to anyone. He pulls away, looks into my eyes, and wipes my tears away. He puts both hands up to my face and kisses me for the first time in 2 years. It was so emotional, there isn’t even a word to describe. The rest of the afternoon we went for a walk, and talked, and kissed, it was divine..


At one point he looked thoughtful, I asked him what he was thinking. He grabbed my hand, and gave me the most amazing smile and said 'It's just so simple, I'm home with you.' I’m not really sure of our ‘official status’, but I guess we’re dating and it’s completely fantastic. I had to leave yesterday to come back to uni, (horribleee) and I still have 4 intense months left before I graduate. I’m not sure how we’re going to figure things out, but he told me to ‘stop thinking’. I trust him, so I have.
It’s been an emotional rollercoaster, but absolutely incredible. I’ve had a great 2 years, and I don’t regret anything. Since Daniel and I weren’t official, it was difficult to know what to expect when he got home. Though I think that helped us to have no expectations and just let whatever happened, happen.
I have a journal entry from 2008 that says ‘How can our relationship be fine for 3 years while I go to university, 2 years with him on a mission - as if we can just come back together after that and be better than ever?!’ But it’s looking that way, and I can’t wait whatever happens in the future.Girls, I think if you’re doing the right thing and you have the Lord with you, He will always have your back, even when it doesn’t look that way. Trust him, and go with it. You’re an amazing group of people, I’ve LOVED having your support, and thanks for letting me be there for you too!

Nicole and Daniel are no longer together at the moment, but we share this story because it was a success in that they both followed what the Lord had and has planned for them! We wish them both the best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment